Gas safety in your home
What to do if you smell gas
- Switch off the gas at the meter
- Ring National Grid Gas Emergency Services immediately on freephone 0800 111 999
- Ventilate the room by opening windows
- Do not use a naked light or electrical equipment
- Contact Wulvern Home Support Team on 01270 506200.
What does Wulvern do to ensure my safety?
Wulvern carries out gas servicing to all homes with gas appliances every year. This is done via our gas contractor Sure.
During a gas service we….
- Check and service all gas appliances including flues and ventilation to ensure they are safe to use
- Check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working and show you how you can check them
- Test your gas installation to ensure there are no gas leaks
- Check for any water leaks
- Advise you how to use your system the most efficiently
- Reset the service timer
- Advise you that a check of our work may be carried out to ensure all our work is of an excellence and safe standard for customers.
What you can do to ensure your safety
When we call to carry out your gas service, let us in! Un-serviced gas appliances put you, your home and your neighbours at risk of fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Never block vents in doors, walls or windows
- Never install ceiling fans or extractors without having your gas appliances checked
- Fans and extractors can cause burnt flue gasses to be drawn back down the flue into your home, which is dangerous.
- Remember carbon monoxide has no smell and can kill.